Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday here now

Good morning:

The picture shows my favorite dog: an Irish Setter.

It was nice and warm here yesterday, over 60 degrees. Nice to go outside in shirt sleeves.

I am now reading Massacred for Gold: The Chinese in Hells Canyon by Gregory Nokes. This part of Oregon history I have never heard of but it deserves a major part of Oregon's history. In 1887, 34 Chinese miners were killed by a group of rustlers and older school children. The author thought the killers wanted the gold the Chinese miners had mined. But he quickly comes the conclusion that the killers slayed the Chinese miners because they were Chinese. Pure racism... The Chinese miners were mining a small creek in Hells Canyon, the deepest canyon in the United States.

For some reason I believed briefly that today was Thursday. My wall calendar shows the 17th is Thursday......in June.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment