Monday, February 22, 2010

Hello again

Hi again:

This picture is Pioneer Park in Stayton. Before the Columbus Day storm on Oct. 12, 1962, this park was full of fir trees. If I took a picture the day before the storm, you could not see to the back of the park for the trees. The day after the storm I went to the park. I could walk end-to-end in the park on fallen trees.

Also the day after the storm, a neighbor called my dad to tell him his walnut trees fell down. We went down there, my dad, my brother Ken and me, and picked bushel after bushel of walnuts. My father dried them in the attic and for 10 years after that my brother and I had to crack a large peanut butter jar of walnuts each Christmas season for my mother. She used the walnuts in fudge (bad for it takes the place of chocolate in the fudge) and her favorite, divinity.

I know I told you this story before when I was cracking my own walnuts, the first I have done since those fateful days at home with a large peanut butter jar.

I am going to spend this evening reading.

Hope you have a good week.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment