Saturday, June 26, 2010

Weekend is here

Hello:

This picture is from the Chicago Tribune today. It shows a double lightening strike there yesterday. Quite a good picture.

I don't know what I did wrong, but my freezer jam did not set up. I made 3 batches yesterday, following the instructions on the Serto box. Two cups of crushed berries, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 4 cups of sugar and 1 pouch of Serto. I must wait until 24 hours before putting it into the freezer. It has set up a little but not hard like my mother used to make. I cannot figure out what I did wrong. I did go the Internet to see the strawberry freezer jam recipes, but all of those used powdered Serto. Safeway here has only the liquid Serto. At 4:30 this afternoon I will put my jam into the freezer, regardless of how much it has set up.

I cleaned the second crate of strawberries. These will go into the freezer after I cut them up and add a little sugar to it.

I have a new recipe here for a strawberry/rhubarb crisp. I would love to make this but no rhubarb in the stores now. I have some growing in my garden but not a pound of it. I can wait a few more days to see how much my rhubarb grows as I am fertilizing it.

My peas are growing and I see many new pods on the vines. I planted my peas from ones I got off my plants last summer. All came up but I put the seeds into wet paper towels to see if they would germinate. All grew and I transplanted them to the garden outside.

I am using natural products to deter slugs. I read that used coffee grounds and egg shells prevents slugs from coming near my plants. I don't see any slug damage to my lettuce so I guess it works.

I rode my bike to three garage sales today, but found nothing at any of them.

Not doing much reading with so much to do around here with my strawberries and other stuff.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment