Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Raining here today...


Hello:
This picture show a sure sign that spring is here.
I am stilll reading Red Azalea. It sure is a good book. It shows what happened in China during the Cultural Revolution. The author was sent to Red Fire Farm, where hundreds of women and men were sent from the city to work there. The farm did so poorly it could not even support the workers there. The workers there ate the produce of the farm, even though the workers, like the author, worked from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm each and every day.
I am in the part of the book that takes place in 1976, the year Mao finally dies. He has not died yet, as the author is taken away from the farm to become an actress to conduct a play for Madam Mao. But I know after Mao dies, the new premier calls Madam Mao and three others the Gang of Four, and arrests them once China catches the gang.
Once I finish Red Azalea, I plan to read Union Atlantic. Some time I will read two novels in a row, but not now.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment