Monday, April 12, 2010

A new week begins...

Hello:

This picture is from James Fallows email to me. He talks about the age of the Air Force 1, which is 20 years old. He compares the age of AF 1 with the age of the plane that crashed in Russia, carrying the Polish President and other high officials from Poland. That latter plane was 26 years old.

I believe the plane crash was caused by pilot error.

I have a friend in Poland from my days at Maple International Language Institute in Xi'an China. I sent her an email expressing my deepest sympathy for the loss of her president.

It is another nice day out today.

I am reading For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History. It is about the East India Company sending an individual to China in the late 1840's to get the seeds of tea so the British Government could start growing tea in India instead of buying it from China. China threatened to grow its own opium, cutting off the main British export to China.

Green tea and black tea are the same plant, unknown to the British in the mid-19th century. I will explain it all once I finish the book tonight. It is an excellent book.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment