Sunday, August 23, 2009

Unsuccessful...


Hi:
I am unsuccessful in trying to format this blog typing correct. Maybe you see it different than I see it when I post it. Yesterday I tripled spaced between paragraphs and indented the start of each paragraph. Yet, it comes out showing no spacing at all. So today I will go back to my usual practice of just double-spacing paragraphs, but still indenting the start of each paragraph.
The picture here is the dock area of Newport at a very low tide that day.
I am now reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman. He also wrote The Codex which I read some years ago. I am over 1oo pages of this so far. It is much better than the Harry Potter books, more like Harry Potter for adults.
I have six more books here to read before Sept 15, when I get The Lost Symbol.
Here is that list:
Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the America Dream by Patrick Keefe
An Expensive Education by Nick McDonell
The Wilderness Warrior by Douglas Brinkley (more than 900 pages)
The Best of Jules Verne
The DaVinci Code
I list The DaVinci Code only if I find it necessary to read it in preparation of getting The Lost Symbol on Sept 15. The latter book is a sequel to The DaVinci Code. I watched the movie again yesterday on TNT, but the movie does not do justice to the book.
I plan on not reserving any more books for the next 3 weeks. I hear another good one talked about last night on All Things Considered. Starting in the year 900 C.E. (common era), the author finds the origin of the western tradition. (I use B.C.E. for Before the Common Era instead of B.C. and C.E. for the Common Era instead of using A.D. I find B.C. and A.D. are too religious for me).
I have not been to the Oregon State Fair in some years, but I may go this year. Scones and the dairymen wives milkshakes draw me there as the best food at the State Fair.
Please leave a comment on this site or write me (schwindt68@hotmail.com) if you have any questions or comments.
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment