Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Early morning on U


This picture shows the mean counter at the grocery store in Kunming.  The people you see are cutting the meet, mostly pork, and putting it in front of them. Meat is never wrapped and is put out raw.  I did not buy this meat, as flies were landing on it. The meat moves fast as there is always a big crowd around these guys taking meat away.

The main meats in China are pork, chicken and duck.  Rarely do you see beef in this country,.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will post the picture of my big surprise. 

I don't know what is wrong with me but I awoke at 2:00 am this morning.  I will probably go back to bed in a few hours.

I have not been listening to many podcasts here, so I have four or five behind on every one of them. 

I have not been listening regularly to NPR either.  I am listening to All Things Considered from Monday as I write this.

I need to bear down to (1) read more; (2) listen to NPR every day; and (3) set up time to listen to podcasts.

Too much time I spend watching TV.  I need to cut back on it now to do other things. I think being without TV for my time in China forced me to watch too much TV upon my return to Oregon. 

I got all seven Harry Potter books on my Kindle and Kindle Fire.  Now I have them all in one place. I added them to all three of my Kindles and to Nolan's Kindle too as his Kindle is on my account. 

Gas here is over $4.00 a gallon here now.  Catching up to China where gas is sold there by the liter.  During my last days in Kunming I looked a local gas station to see that gas there sells for 7.17 rmb per liter.  That makes it well over $4.00 a gallon when you do the conversion (6.3 rmb equals $1.00)

Gas in China is owned by the government from the well head to the gas station.  It keeps the price high there to bring more money to the federal government.

I did some laundry yesterday and I was able to hang some clothes outside for the first time this year.  All of my clothes dried in about 3 hours outside yesterday. 

Tomorrow I am going to the airport in Portland, and think you know why.

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment