Sunday, July 15, 2012

First post in a long time....



This picture is from the 4th of July parade in Stayton earlier this month.

I have been bad not wriiting here  I promise to write more each week.

I finished China Airborne by James Fallows. It was a great book that told me things about China I did not know.  The miilitary there controls the skies there so airlines and small planes must get permission from the military to fly in the air.  Even commerical airlines fly at low evelevations around 10,000 to 15,000 feet instead of the more efficient 30,000 to 35,000 feet we fly in the United States and around the world. 

On my last trip home from China we had an 8 hour wait at Beijing before my flight finally took off.  That 8 hour wait was suppose to be one hour but it lasted 8 hours.  The airline feed us there as we waited for the airline to take off. We did not enter the plane until it was ready to take off.  Now I realize it was the military that prevented us from taking off on time.

This was after a five hour delay in Xi'an before I left there.  Again a one hour delay turned into a five hour delay.

Every time I flew in or out China we had long delays.  The military controls the air space there and wants bribes from airlines to let them fly.

I am now reading Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy.  I have Mocking Jay on my Kindle 3 to read once I finish the second book.  Mocking Jay is the last book in the series,. I get all three of these ebooks for free as I am a Prime Member on Amazon so I get one free book a month from its Lending Library. My first book was The Hunger Games

I am also reading The Devil's Elixir by Raymond Khoury.  I read all of his novels, as he writes very good mystery novels.

My Kindle 3 goes with me to Church every Sunday at Mass. I have the old catechism on it, plus I have The Divine Office on it.  Do you think I read these at Mass?  I started to read these things but today I read Catching Fire at Mass.  I don't read it during the prayers of the Mass, but during the sermon and before Mass starts.  I read it after the sermon too. 

I hope your week goes well.

Steven




No comments:

Post a Comment